Wednesday, December 8, 2010

"Hello, World" from the Chrome Pilot

From this Chrome Pilot, "Hello, World."

Google's Chrome OS pilot program will be a great learning experience. Per the 08 December post on myDigitechnician, I applied to be part of the Google Chrome OS pilot program as soon as I became aware of it (~ 2 PM CST on 07 December 2010).

Counting down the days until the Chrome Notebook arrives. Slight problem since I don't know what day they are shipping the ChromeBook to me or how long the shipping will take. But I can live with that uncertainty. Gives a person something to look forward to each day...

Hello to a new way of computing. Sort of. Each day already consists of six to ten hours of online work, so being immersed in the web won't be a particularly new experience. But it will be a new operating system, a new way of connecting to the web (via 3G) and some new routines to optimize and get used to.

Hello to using a cool new Google tech tool. Andy M and I do quite a bit of experimenting with free and low-cost digital tools and services, and Google has quite a few of those. We have weekly meetings, both NEW NET and TechAdvised, to talk about what new tech items have been released, what new features have been added and what old challenges have been resolved.

Hello to a new notebook computer. The Cr-48. Wolfram|Alpha says chromium 48 has a half-life of 21.56 hours. My chemical engineering background and long years of experience with computers (38 years) give me lots of confidence the half-life of the Chrome Notebook will be much longer than 21.56 hours. I'm sure it will work well for several years, or at least as long as Google lets me use it. Wolfram|Alpha also says the specific radioactivity of Cr-48 is 112,200 terabecquerels per gram. Nah, don't think I'll worry about that being a problem for the Chrome Notebook either. My worries for tonight are simple and consist of:
program HelloWorld;
begin
writeln ('Hello, World.')
end.
But enough of Chrome Pilot for tonight. Time to get some work done on aviation innovation.

Hello, World and Goodnight, Moon.

**********

No comments:

Post a Comment