Wednesday, December 15, 2010

Woo-hoo! Cr-48 Chrome Notebook Arrived!

Happy, stunned, amazed, excited and grateful!

That's pretty much how I feel right now, sitting here with a brand-new, just-delivered Google Cr-48 Chrome Notebook.

I was a tech nomad most of this morning and part of the afternoon at a local wifi hotspot, working on my Acer Timeline 14.1" Win7 laptop. When I arrived home at 2 PM there was a medium size box setting on the kitchen counter. My mind started to get excited, wondering if it was my Chrome Notebook but being very skeptical that it would actually be a Cr-48.

Looked at the box. It was addressed to me. It was about the right size for a small laptop computer. No Google address or other info on the outside that indicated it was from Google or from someone associated with Google. But when I started opening the box I saw the inner box "hamster-powered computer" graphics. Every Chrome Notebook admirer would instantly recognize that rodent from all the articles they've read about the Cr-48 since it was announced last week. Oh frabjous day, Callooh, Callay!

There was no prior notification from Google; they just shipped it to me unannounced. Guess that saved me from the anxiety of waiting and wondering where it was. Although online status trackers for shipping pretty much eliminate the need to wonder where an en-route package is.

It feels so cool to have this new tech toy to play with, to have a new computing paradigm to become immersed in and to have a chance to be a pilot program participant for what I hope will be a truly innovative new personal computing tool. Because I live in northeast Wisconsin, opportunities to be a beta tester for new tech services or products are relatively rare compared to the opportunities for someone living in SF/Silicon Valley, Seattle, Austin or Boston. Opportunities to be involved in a Google beta are even more rare, especially a Google hardware pilot program. I plan to make the most of this pilot program, giving Google as much useful feedback as I can and connecting directly with at least one person on the Chrome Notebook team if at all possible. One of the Googlers I plan to try and connect with is Sundar Pichai.

To the extent possible, I'll be using the Cr-48 as my main computer for at least the next few months. It will be interesting and challenging to figure out alternative ways of accomplishing on the Chrome Notebook those normal daily tasks which weren't heretofore done in a browser environment. What will be really cool is if I come up with suggestions for the Chrome Notebook team for new Chrome OS products or services which they or outside developers then create or modify based on my suggestions or requests.

I'm a chemical engineer by education, training and experience. Tend to be thorough, methodical, factual and objective. Because of this, my first review of the Cr-48 and Chrome OS will be after several days of intense use. However, here are a few initial reactions after using the notebook for a couple hours.
  1. Love the keyboard. Feels comfortable, accurate and easy to use.
  2. The "Instant-On" operation is fantastic. Will be hard to put up with Win7 boot-up times when I'm forced to use that.
  3. The 12" screen will feel small for a while compared to my 14.1" Acer screen, but it feels tons better than a 10" or smaller netbook screen.
  4. The touchpad is unquestionably challenging to use; it will likely cause me to do a combination of USB mouse and careful experimentation to figure out the most effective touchpad techniques.
Enough 'work' -- time to go back to playing with My New Google Chrome Notebook, having fun and learning as much as I can about it. My extreme gratitude is extended to the Cr-48 team for including me in the pilot program. You made me a very happy tech enthusiast. Thanks!

The only thing that would have made today better is if I'd also gotten a free Android phone from Google that could be used with the Virgin Mobile $25 unlimited data plan. In case anyone from Google is reading this blog...

**********

No comments:

Post a Comment